In 2011, Ansaldo STS set up the Internal sustainability committee (also referred to as the “Committee”), made up of the managers of the main company functions. The Committee’s mission is to define the company’s strategic guidelines for sustainable development and the promotion of social responsibility initiatives and see that they are implemented.
The Internal Sustainability Committee reports directly to the Chairman and CEO of Ansaldo STS and collaborates and coordinates with the company’s Organizational units. The Committee is responsible for:
- assessment of social and environmental risks that concern the company’s operations and evaluating the related performance;
- definition and monitoring of the sustainability programme, made up of financial, social and environmental objectives;
- implementation of the relevant codes and rules of social and environmental conduct defined by the company (code of ethics and EHS procedures and policies) or relating to international standards (Global Reporting Initiative, the Global Compact, the Carbon Disclosure Project, etc.);
- definition and coordination of listening to, discussing with and involving stakeholders: sharing results and the steps to be taken;
- definition and implementation of an internal and external sustainability communications plan.
In 2015, the Internal Sustainability Committee specifically engaged in the following activities:
- expanded the materiality analysis by involving new stakeholders in order to define their priority in terms of sustainability;
- extended the opportunities and risks analyses tied to sustainability management, through their description and identification of their importance (low, medium, high);
- defined and discussed the 2015 reporting project with the following objectives:
- adopt the Global Reporting Initiative G4 Sustainability Reporting guidelines;
- confirm the Global Compact and participate in the Carbon Disclosure Project;
- improve internal and external sustainability communications;
- participate in the Global Compact Network Italy projects.
The Board of Directors’ involvement
The Board of Directors is involved in approving the Sustainability Report while the CEO prepares and approves the sustainability programme, i.e., the action plan to be implemented during the year, targets, reporting and communications.